There are many things we turn to when we need comfort and we all need comfort right now. Personally, I bake and eat and bake again. This weekend I’ve been compulsively baking a new, delicious, truly comforting cake that makes you feel safe and satisfied and, believe it or not, a little in the holiday mood. The end product is a dense, chewy cake not quite like a muffin, not quite like a bread…something I can’t find a comparison to.
I’d recommend you try these simple, easy cakes today or tomorrow or whenever you need a little cheer over the next few weeks.
Eggnog Cakes2 1/2 c. all purpose flour 1T baking powder 1/2 t. salt 1/2 t. nutmeg 1 t. cinnamon 1/2 c. sugar 1/4 c. butter 2T honey 2 eggs 1 t. vanilla 1 3/4 c. buttermilk 1/4 c. whiskey
Pre-heat to 400 F.
- Melt butter and add honey. Take off heat and let cool slightly while you mix dry ingredients.
- In large bowl combine dry ingredients and whisk together so it is evenly mixed.
- In medium bowl lightly beat eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and whiskey. Continue to mix as you slowly drizzle butter into wet mixture.
- Add wet to dry until fully combined. Dough will be sticky and thick but to loosen a little you may add 2 to 3 T buttermilk or cream.
- Spray 10 inch round spring-form pan. Spoon batter into pan, using back of spatula to even out. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked into center of the cake.