I’ve had a pretty busy week. There have been meetings and events and if that wasn’t enough, I made the staff breakfast Wednesday. When I listed off the menu (muffins, muffins and more muffins) my mother ‘tsk-tsk’d and, as is her usual style, offered a more ‘wholesome’ choice. What is better than berry, banana, apple and orange muffins (four different kinds – not all four mushed together)? A ‘very easy’ breakfast bake that would have had me up till midnight trying to prepare.
Thanks but no thanks.
I make quick breads nearly every other weekend. I slice them up and enjoy for breakfast during the week. Making muffins are like second nature to me now, so much so that I know that base recipe by heart. Below is the basic recipe, you can substitute the bananas for any kind of fruit you like or have in the house.
Banana Nut Muffins/Quick Bread
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 c. yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 2 ripe bananas (sliced)
- 1/2 c. walnuts (chopped)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar and eggs. Beat until well combined then stir in vanilla.
- Add 1 c. flour until well combined. Mix in salt, soda and remaining 1/2 c. flour. Mix until just blended.
- Fold in yogurt, bananas and nuts until batter is blended.
- Spray 2 – 12 cup muffin tins or 8×8 pan and pour in batter.
- Bake. Muffins will take about 20 minutes, bread will take about 40 minutes.
- Muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean.