So, Lent begins today. We were all supposed to have our last hurah over the past week, eating decidently, living vicariously and after last night’s Shrove Tuesday dinner of pancakes we are now meant to give something up for 40 days. I’m not a particularly religious person, but 13 years of Sr. Mary Elizabeth and a Catholic education don’t exactly fade either.
I decided to do something rather than give something up. This year is some form of exercise every day. I’ve fallen off the wagon with the running (must get back on) and my middle has all too happily accomodated the lack of movement.
So, for those of you who have given up chocolate – I’m sorry. And for those of you who are a bit subversive (like me) – enjoy. Being naughty can taste really good.
1/3 c. butter
3 oz. baking chocolate
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1/2 c. quick cook oats
2 eggs beaten
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 t. vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter, baking chocolate and chocolate chips. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the sugar and eggs.
- Mix in the flour, oats, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Pour into a prepared 8×8 baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
These arerichand delicious so a little piece and a glass of cold milk will go a very long way.