This afternoon I stood at the sink filling a kettle for tea and looked out onto my apple tree. The wind and rain had suddenly picked up and lovely white blossoms were raining down as well. It made me think how apple blossoms are one of my favorite things about spring, perhaps because they are so lovely, so pure and so fleeting.
If we aren’t careful, if we don’t stop to enjoy the little things while they last, then what’s the point? To remind myself to take a moment to take in these short-lived favorites of the season, I’ve written a list…
- Apple blossoms
- Fiddle head picking
- Freshly picked asparagus straight out of the garden
- Ice cream cones on the first warm and sunny day
- Sauteed peas with mint
- Lilly of the Valley
- The first time you smell cut grass
- The pure joy of sunshine
- The sounds of the cows as they are herded into pasture after a long winter inside
- Red poppies across a green lawn
I’m sure there are many more things I love associated with this time of year; the problem is, I won’t realize what they are until the moment to enjoy has almost passed by – maybe that’s why I’ll enjoy them all the more.